Hogwarts: Alternate Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts: Alternate Universe Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  Empty
PostSubject: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 1:35 pm

((Title taken from a quote by CS Lewis}

Natalie had been holed up in the library studying for several hours now and the information was beginning to bleed through on ear and out the other. It was when this happened that she would usually take a short break to refresh her mind, but today, for some reason she couldn't bring herself to leave the library. The place was delightfully empty and free from distraction, normally Natalie couldn't focus without a little bit of noise happening which was why she normally studied in the common room or in her dorm room, where the mild chatter from her housemates provided the ideal background track.

But today, today she decided she would enjoy the library, if for no other reason than the comforting scent of thousands of musty old books. Natalie pushed her text book away from her, leaving a slip of parchment inside to mark her spot, and slipped a hand into her book bag, searching for her novel.

She grinned triumphantly when she located it, her copy of Pride and Prejudice was old and worn, having been purchased from a small used book store, and having been read at the very least five times a year since. It wasn't because Natalie was a romantic, far from it, but she had a deep appreciation for the author, who had been successful in a male dominated career and in a time when women did so little. It was her source of inspiration, an ideal that kept her going, the dream that one day she might be just as successful.

She opened the book using the thin bookmark that had been made by her youngest sister, to find her place. She was at the point where Elizabeth was brutally rejecting Darcy's marriage proposal.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 3:14 am

Jarod walked into the library carrying one of his private books. He loved being in the library like many Ravenclaws. He loved the smell and the peace. Also being in the library let him be social with others but he was also able to find solitude. As he moved deeper into the stacks she spotted a young brunette reading at a table surrounded by books and papers.

He gently tapped her shoulder. "Hello Miss. I'm Proffessor Amnell do you mind if I sit with you?" He asked indicating the chair across from her.
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 am

Natalie jumped slightly when she felt a hand on her shoulder, she looked up wide-eyed at the blonde professor.

"Oh, of course professor, help yourself." She replied waving a hand non-chalantly and returning to her novel. She really didn't mind the presence of other people while she was working or reading, having siblings meant that sometimes you had to make your own solitude, even if that included ear plugs or some other aid.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:03 am

Jarod nodded and smiled. "Thank you." He moved around the table and sat down. He opened his own book in about the middle and began to read his own book.
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:11 am

That strangely comfortable silence settled over them, and Natalie managed get through roughly fifty pages or so of her novel before checking her watch and realizing that she needed to go back to studying.

She sighed and closed the novel, sliding it back into her bookbag. She took hold of her text book which was sitting in the centre of the table and pulled it towards her. She picked up her quill and fell into the memorized motion of reading text, taking notes and creating examples for herself.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:18 am

Jarod looked up when he realized the girl was now studying. "What are you studying?" He asked curiously. "Maybe I can help?" He offered. He closed his own book as he waited for an answer.
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:26 am

"Its just transfiguration," Natalie replied, "I'll be fine. But thank you."

Her teachers had learned in her first year that any help offered to her would be quickly refused. Natalie had spent most of her life doing things on her own and she was determined to excel at Hogwarts on her own merit, without help from teachers or classmates.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:30 am

Jarod was surprised by her abruptness but he had know people in Ravenclaw when he was in school that wouldn't accept any kind of help from anyone. He never fully understood it but he respected it.

"Ok well if you change your mind you just have to ask." He looked back to his book and began to read.
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:48 am

"Don't worry, I won't," She quipped with a small smirk as she dipped her quill in ink and resumed writing. She was good at Transfiguration, it was one of those classes that came easily to her, unlike Defence Against the Dark Arts.

As per usual when faced with silence Natalie began tapping her fingers against the wooden table, hammering out an unknown tune.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 am

Jarod shook his head the girl was odd. When she started tapping out a tune on the table he instinctively began tapping his foot in time with her as he continued to read.
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:03 am

Natalie started to hum quietly her lips forming the words silently, she recognized the tune now, it was the one that Janice had played non stop over the Christmas break as she practiced for her dance recital.

She grinned when she noticed that the teacher was tapping his foot against the floor to the beat she had set. She glanced up at him, he was young, a lot of the teachers were young.

"What do you teach professor?" She asked, she was pretty sure that she wasn't in any of his classes and that fact alone had peaked her curiosity.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:07 am

Jarod looked up and smiled. "I teach Ancient Runes. Now I can tell your a Ravenclaw being one myself. What year are you? And I just realized I haven't asked your name yet." He extended his hand to shake her's.
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:10 am

"Im a seventh year," Natalie responded, setting down her quill to return the friendly handshake, "Natalie McCutchen."

"Ancient Runes, that explains it, I chose not to take that class."
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:12 am

"Ah." Jarod nodded in understanding. "Well that does explain why I don't recognize you as well. What classes did you choose to take as electives?" He asked with interest.
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:17 am

Natalie shrugged picking her quill back up, "Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures, and a spare period."

She liked having the spare time to study and ensure that her assignments were completed well ahead of time.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:20 am

Jarod nodded. "That sounds like a good schedual. I take it you like your study time?" He grinned as he looked at the various books on the table that were not just about transfigureation.
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 am

"Study time is me time," She replied automatically, although she never really had trouble getting time to herself. Ravenclaw tower had more drama happening within its walls than it had in previous years so she really only went there when she had no choice.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 am

Jarod grinned as he reminisced about his time back in school. "I remember those times well. Sometimes you end up missing the time you were able to spend in the library."
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 7:05 am

"Well, I can't really speak from experience but I don't think I'll miss it much," Natalie admitted. She was eagerly awaiting the days when the studying would end and she might be able to actively pursue a social life.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 8:51 am

Jarod smiled and chuckled. He remembered being excited about getting out of school to. "Well I'm sure there will be moments you will miss being able to relax, away from people like in here, every once in a while."
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 3:12 am

"Getting away from people is mostly the reason I can't wait to graduate," Natalie commented, she wasn't a particularly bitter person, or so she liked to think, but she couldn't stand teenagers. Always concerned with what other people were doing or wearing or whom they were dating. She was pretty sure she would feel the same even if she was in muggle high school.

She was thrilled with the prospect of graduation and the freedom to make her own way in the world and do whatever she was so inclined to do.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 12:22 am

"I can understand that. Especially with the new students that are always asking for advice and such. That can get tedious."
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 6:34 am

Natalie raised her eyebrow, shouldn't a teacher enjoy helping students no matter how tedious, "I like the younger students and I love helping them, I have five little sisters so its normal. Its the ones my own age that are the problem."

It was common knowledge, at least to her, that girls were petty, catty and two faced when it came to other females in their age group and that the older they got the more posturing the boys did in an effort to impress the aforementioned females. The stupidity and complexity of it made Natalie want to take them all by their ears and demand that they grow up and act like the mature adults they were expected to be.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Amnell

Jarod Amnell

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:58 am

Jarod's eyes widened as he realized how he sounded. "I'm sorry that came out wrong. I was just meaning back in school when your trying to study for an important test or you really need to be alone. I love kids myself. I had a younger brother and a younger sister that is a seventh year Ravenclaw as well. You probably know her Odette Amnell?"
Back to top Go down
Natalie McCutchen

Natalie McCutchen

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 2:09 am

Natalie shook her head, "No, I'm afraid I don't."

Even if Natalie had met her, which she probably had, Natalie didn't remember anyone by that name.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}    Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}  Empty

Back to top Go down

Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read {Open}
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next