Hogwarts: Alternate Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts: Alternate Universe Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about what it is between a mac and other computers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Evaine Moonblood

Evaine Moonblood

Question about what it is between a mac and other computers Empty
PostSubject: Question about what it is between a mac and other computers   Question about what it is between a mac and other computers EmptyMon May 28, 2012 12:08 am

I'm thinking about using my collage money to get myself a laptop before leaving for the summer and I don't feel like using my mom's while we're gone. To keep in touch with all you amazing people <33.. sooo my family is telling me to get a mac cause it's worth it. But my daddy doesn't want me to spend that kind of money. I'm asking you people if any of you owns a mac or knows someone to owns one. is it worth getting?
Back to top Go down
Vanessa Corvus

Vanessa Corvus

PostSubject: Re: Question about what it is between a mac and other computers   Question about what it is between a mac and other computers EmptyMon May 28, 2012 12:24 am

I have had horrible experiences with a Mac. I'd choose against a Mac.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about what it is between a mac and other computers   Question about what it is between a mac and other computers EmptyMon May 28, 2012 2:04 am

Macs are honestly confusing if you're not used to it. Sure, they're hard to get a virus for but they're expensive and honestly a lot of programs are not compatible with macs either.

Windows = <3 For user friendly ness

Learning how to use a Mac, for me, was an absolute nightmare.
Back to top Go down
Evaine Moonblood

Evaine Moonblood

PostSubject: Re: Question about what it is between a mac and other computers   Question about what it is between a mac and other computers EmptyMon May 28, 2012 2:20 am

@ Jason and Vanessa

Well i don't know if i should spend money to get one of them mini laptops or not XD

Sadly i will HAVE to get a Mac later on in life cause of the collage i'm going to next year D:

I'm use to Windows i never had to deal with a mac XD buut i don't wanna pay 4k just to use over the summer and my 5 year old nephew breaking it >.>

And i don't get why there are some programs that won't work for it >.> or hard drives :/

but i want people's thoughts before i leave in three weeks lol. I wanna be able to talk to everyone on here D: and i know my mother and i would fight over her laptop.

I use to have one but the charger part inside the laptop broke and it was a vista not windows 7 and it was SHIT! i loved my brother for buying me one but it was more of a pain to keep getting it fixed than to use it .

@Jason: We should plot sometime i haven't gotten to rp with you yet Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dean McCoppin

Dean McCoppin

PostSubject: Re: Question about what it is between a mac and other computers   Question about what it is between a mac and other computers EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:13 am

I have used both computers, and yes, macs are a little confusing when you aren't used to them. But once you DO get used to them I actually find it to be more user friendly.

for example, installing a program on a mac is as easy as dragging an icon around and they let you colour code files in finder which I have found to be useful for school work.

and from an editing standpoint, Macs are final cut compatible and Final Cut is actually industry standard, its the program that film companies use to edit feature films with...for me this was a huge factor since I'm in Film School.

and to be honest, if you have programs that are only PC compatible you can split your computers drive and have half of it function as a PC and half as a mac. But this can only be done with Mac computers, I asked several people about partitioning my PC in the same way and its impossible.

Also Macs seem to have a longer lifespan, my PCs tend to only last about 3-4 years, a friend of mine has a Macbook pro that she got used and it was three years old when she got it, she's had it for 2 years and it still runs well.

Honestly, after having used both computers, I am definitely in favour of the Mac. I find them to be much nicer computers, and the fact that you don't need an antivirus software is just a bonus. I have found that they are honestly well worth the money.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AislingFairy89
Grace Wang

Grace Wang

PostSubject: Re: Question about what it is between a mac and other computers   Question about what it is between a mac and other computers EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:43 am

I disagree with some of you about the macs.... I have a Mac laptop and I love it. It is a little confusing but within a week or two you won't have any problems with it.
Back to top Go down
Vanessa Corvus

Vanessa Corvus

PostSubject: Re: Question about what it is between a mac and other computers   Question about what it is between a mac and other computers EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:04 am

I found Macs to be very messy and over the top: in it's attempt to be more user-friendly and organised, it's become both ugly and also overwhelming. I find the layout design distracting as well. They also don't last as long - I have a Windows laptop and a Mac computer - the Mac we had for two years, the Windows for about 5 - the Windows has persevered whereas the Mac is dead. Now maybe I just was lucky with my Windows, but Macs are pretty feeble.
Back to top Go down
Todd Cross

Todd Cross

PostSubject: Re: Question about what it is between a mac and other computers   Question about what it is between a mac and other computers EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:22 am

I stand on the Windows side of the debate; I've had limited contact with Macs, but so far Windows has been pretty dependable and reliable for the most part. Even on an old computer like mine, there are a lot of possibilities and it doesn't take lake to adjust to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about what it is between a mac and other computers   Question about what it is between a mac and other computers Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about what it is between a mac and other computers
Page 1 of 1